I'm happily married to Seth J. Bookey, now in 50 states.
Sunday, October 5, 2014
I was honored to speak at a recent SLA (Special Libraries Association) meeting called “Thinking Outside the Box: Exploring Alternate Careers.” I spoke about the importance of being a writer, curator, and teacher as you pursue your career as a librarian or information professional. I also told the audience that librarians add value to their work and develop career satisfaction by analyzing and helping patrons make context of the information they present, rather than just handing over that information. On a practical level, I've been fortunate to develop my career in a few directions. This is important for the obvious reason that careers and companies change constantly.
I also recommend contributing to a professional or nonprofit association early in your career and throughout your career. The meeting co-sponsors, the SLA's New Jersey and New Jersey - Greater Princeton/Trenton Chapters, are good choices for info pros in the Garden State.
The other four speakers on the panel (Margaret Bennett, Joan Keegan, Amy Silvers, and Joanna Wojciechowski) presented interesting and inspiring messages about how they developed and redeveloped their careers. Read more about the event in Barbara Burton's blog entry.
Saturday, August 30, 2014
I've written an article for the site FreePint.com listing a few important (and free) online resources in the compliance and regulatory field. The list focuses on "due diligence" or comprehensive background research of U.S. public companies, and it's geared toward researchers who may not have a business background. The list starts with two resources that report and summarize on issues related to bribery and corruption involving specific companies.
The article is part of the My Favourite Tipples series published by the UK-based FreePint, a website for corporate librarians and information professionals.
Posted by Eric C. Schwarz at 2:55 PM
Saturday, April 5, 2014
Posted by Eric C. Schwarz at 5:15 PM
Sunday, February 2, 2014
Posted by Eric C. Schwarz at 12:14 AM
Wednesday, November 27, 2013
On Thanksgiving 2013, I’m thankful for:
- The love and support of my partner, Seth J. Bookey.
- The tools, skill and opportunities that allow Seth and me to nurture and take care of each other.
- The house that Seth and I share.
- Our health and well-being.
- The company of people who believe in me and the impact that we can have on the world.
- My network of friends and family, whether we talk often or rely on social media and email.
- Smart, friendly and supportive colleagues in my professional communities.
- The opportunities to enjoy and create art and to build communities.
- The chance to live in a diverse society where differences are appreciated and valued.
- The chance to celebrate the holidays and everyday life with a mixture of faith, humanism, and occasional outlandishness.
- A significant amount of freedom and safety that much of the world cannot take for granted.
- The opportunity to live at a time when we can joyously celebrate light and pause to give thanks, in one rare magical confluence of holidays.
I hope that I demonstrate my gratitude throughout the year.
Posted by Eric C. Schwarz at 11:48 PM
Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Posted by Eric C. Schwarz at 11:26 PM